There’s so much waste in the world of social media marketing. You’ve probably heard me say this before, but today I want to explain how to spot it (so you can resist it)!
Quick backstory: In the past 30 days, we’ve seen one client blow past her 90-Day revenue goals in just 60 days, another achieved 10x improvements on her advertising results and another recently proclaimed “I’m just so happy!” because, regardless of a personal life that feels a bit too busy and chaotic, she’s focused and confident that she’s working on the exact right things in her business.
I live for this: Every single one of these success stories involved a moment a few months ago when I reviewed the entrepreneur’s digital marketing to-do list and cut it in half (or even more).
We all think we’re supposed to grow our Instagram audiences, launch Facebook ads, get on TikTok, and start SEO. These activities have value, but if it’s not directly tied to the very next goal you have? It’s a distraction. The entrepreneurs that resist the urge to do things just because they are told they are supposed to – and instead focus on one thing at a time that’s uniquely best for their brand’s growth – are the ones that crush their goals in record time.
It’s impossible to write an exhaustive list of all the forms of waste in social, content, and digital marketing, but here are some of the most common forms I witness daily:
- The time it takes to produce Reels that don’t actually grow your brand and content for platforms you don’t actually need to be on
- Publishing content that nobody sees (because even though Instagram tells us they are favoring Reels and short form video content – that’s not what it feels like behind our accounts?!)
- Wasting time chasing the algorithm…
- Spinning our wheels and questioning everything because if the above is true, should we even be doing this? Should we be on a different platform? What difference will it make?! These questions keep us stuck in a waste-of-time cycle
- The longer we stay stuck in this cycle, the more time and energy we’re giving to something that’s not moving our business forward!
The truth is that most brands under $5m are doing way too much on social media. Most of us are being fed a lie that we need to post every day (or more) to see success when this advice is being given by people who happened to go viral once, don’t have the same demands on their time, are in totally different industries, or who might be getting paid by the platforms to post as much as they do.
We can absolutely build a sustainable, efficient, holistic digital marketing strategy that plays to our strengths and drives measurable growth. For example, if we have stronger writing talent than video creation talent, how do we leverage that to grow instead of going down a rabbit hole of things we’re not good at?
A lot of folks are enjoying their first proper summer of travel, family, and joy in several years. If you’re ready to get back to business and hit the ground running make learn how to work with us at Strong Brand Social.
In your corner,